Monday, March 01, 2010

Cranberry, Apple, Pecan, Yogurt Muffins



I'm finally taking my babies off formula (hurray!) but I have to work hard to make up the calories for my tiny ones.  So, I'm experimenting with ways to add healthy fats to their diet.  Some of what I've learned recently has made me reconsider dairy products.  I think they are ok if they are organic, and especially for kids who need more fat and calories than adults.

I found a yogurt muffin recipe online and adapted it for my purposes.  These were really yummy.  I was surprised to see no eggs in the recipe - I think the yogurt acts as the binder instead of the eggs.


3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 C all purpose flour
3/4 C sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup vanilla yogurt
2/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup frozen cranberries
1 apple, peeled and diced
½ C very finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 400°F

Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Stir in yogurt, milk, melted butter and fruit, stirring only until mixed.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake 20 minutes of until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Serve warm.


VARIATION
This morning I tweaked the recipe a bit based on lack of time and a few ingredients and a desire to try all whole wheat.  It turned out fantastic and my whole family gobbled the muffins up.


1 and 3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C brown sugar
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 and 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup frozen cranberries
½ C very finely chopped pecans

Same mixing and baking instructions.

2 comments:

Pugsley said...

I've waffled back and forth between dairy or not a few times, but the China Study was really convincing for me. I buy cheese once in a while and plain yogurt (and buttermilk for super yummy pancakes). Your muffins look tasty, but way too sweet for me. I weaned Jane from formula to goats milk, but the price (and smell) got the better of me. My friend who had her own goat said it's not supposed to smell, but I'm not getting my own goat. Not sure what I'll do with Rose. Jane drinks Almond, Rice and Soy milk. Avacados are a really good source of healthy fat. A tip for whole wheat flour--I grind my own wheat for bread, but I like to use whole wheat pastry flour for pancakes, waffles, muffins, etc. It is much lighter. Do you have a wheat grinder? Oat flour is great as well, but you have to grind the whole oat groats--maybe you can buy oat flour.

Jen said...

Hi Alyson! I need a wheat grinder but don't have one yet. Soon, I hope. For now I buy my wheat flour. I've heard about whole wheat pastry flour and never tried it. I will though - it sounds good.

On the dairy thing, here's how I've gotten to this point. I'm familiar with the china study or at least Dr. Fuhrman's interpretation of it and it is pretty convincing but as I've learned more about the way modern meat and dairy are produced and processed I think that is a more likely explanation for the links to disease. Also, the "healthy" fats like nuts, avocados, and olives, don't grow naturally a lot of places. I don't think God would have designed things so that only a small part of the world or the wealthy in the 21st century could grow or buy healthy food. I've accepted Michael Pollan's assertion that any natural, native diet can be healthy as long as we don't apply modern farming or food processing techniques to it.

Adults really don't need much fat or as many calories but babies and kids do and it's really hard to provide them what they need from local sources unless I use some animal products. The local, sustainable, self-reliant argument has also really convinced me. I'm working on getting most of my food from local sources or growing/making it myself. I still buy a lot of stuff that's been imported or traveled across several states but I'd like to know that in an emergency I could feed my family well and keep them healthy with what's locally available.

Maybe I'll change my mind again in another year :)