Thursday, March 19, 2020

Social Connection amidst Social Distancing

Any extroverts out there withering amidst all this social distancing?  My extroverted children are feeling it. Anyone else had a painful conversation with your kids about why they can't join the neighborhood party that seems to be going on outside your door?  One of the most difficult things about this crisis is that we can't socialize as we normally do.  Social connection is one of the most effective ways to cope with stress and anxiety.

If you remain unconvinced of the reasons for all this extreme social distancing, please look at these simulations https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

There are ways we all can connect while abiding by social distancing practices.  Here are some things that are working for my family It's more important than ever that we connect socially.  I hope you'll try some of these ideas.

Cousin Bookclub
My siblings and I have organized 3 bookclubs for our kids ranging in age from 3 - 16.  We have been using a free zoom room with the breakout rooms feature.  The kids all start in the same room (CHAOS!) and then we break them into three separate rooms.  Our first meeting, the kids all brought a book they have read or are reading to share with the others.  They each gave a "book commercial" to share why they like the book and why their cousins might want to read it, without any spoilers.  Then they talked.  The oldest kids spent most of their time sharing books and decided they all want to read and discuss The Girl Who Could Fly at their next meeting.  This book is appropriate for middle grade students too so many of the middle kids are planning to read or listen to it and they might discuss it too but they were most excited to see each other and talk.  The littles needed help from their moms but loved it.  I know all the cousins are looking forward to next week's meeting.  Google hangouts could work for this too.

Online classes
Our homeschool co-op has moved all our classes online.   The upper elementary, middle school, and high school students all have at least one online class option.  These classes are helping our kids stay connected to their friends and teachers.
 
Family Time
My family has the benefit of living with 5 people under one roof.  These are the only people we are allowing ourselves to have physical contact with.  I'm encouraging more of it.  More hugs, sitting closer to each other while reading or watching a movie, holding hands while taking family walks, jumping on the trampoline together, etc.  Many of us are starved for physical contact.

I would encourage those who live alone to find another person or small family to spend physical time with often.  If you both agree not to interact physically with anyone else,  the risk is low and for those who live a lone, total isolation could be life threatening, from a mental health perspective.  I would not encourage two families to get together.  I would not encourage a large family to invite anyone over.  But those who live alone need a "family" they can be with physically.

Family meals, family movie time, family walks etc. are all extra important right now.  Is your family doing some things together every day, on purpose?  If not, consider adding one regular family activity to your daily routine. 


Phone Calls/Video Calls
I know it's old fashioned technology, but for decades, this was the only way friends and loved ones who lived far from each other could stay in touch.  A phone call with a good friend really is so good.  Try it.

The modern version is facetime.

Marco Polo
I was slow to adopt this one but my sisters convinced me.  Once I got over seeing myself on the screen, I really came to love Marco Polo.  It has enabled me and my 3 sisters to have an ongoing conversation for over a year.  It isn't live.  Each person in the conversation records themselves talking to the group - this little recording is called a polo.  Then everyone else in the conversation can watch the polo at their convenience.  Sometimes I watch polos with a headset late at night or early in the morning without bothering anyone around me.  When it is convenient, those who want to respond, can do so.  Everyone in the conversation watches the polos and responds at their convenience.  My sisters and I are all Moms. Our "free" moments are fleeting and unpredictable.  There's no way I would be so in touch with them if it weren't for Marco Polo. 

Group Text Chats 
This was another one I was slow to adopt.  I believe there are several apps for this.  I have been using What's App.  It makes group texting so much easier to follow and participate in.  I really don't like group texts.  But I'm a fan of What's App chats.  Great for keeping in touch with various groups of friends and family.


Emailing
Another old fashioned technology.  Did you know it could be used for more than promotional junk mail?!  Have your kids ever sent an email?  Now is the time to teach them how.  I consider typing an email school work for my kids as long as it's not a string of emojis. 



Conversation Across the Street
 As we were coming home from our family walk yesterday, we had a lovely conversation with neighbors across the street.  We both stayed on our own sides of the street and spoke a little louder.  It was nice to see and hear some human beings outside of our own family.

Books
John Adams famously wrote, "You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket."  I do love poetry but I also consider many of my favorite characters from books friends.  Reading is a great escape and really can take you beyond your own four walls with zero risk of spreading or catching coronavirus.  Me and mine have been reading a lot lately.  It's so nice to forget about real life for a little while each day and I know of no better way to do it than getting lost in a story.  Each of us experiences books differently.  Some will be more immersed by listening to a book while some, like me, need to see the words on the page themselves for full immersion.  Let me know if you need a book recommendation, I might have a few hundred to recommend...

This is just the things my family has tried.  I know there are lots of additional ideas out there.  What is working for you?


No comments: