Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Meditate. Meditate. Meditate

How's your anxiety today?  2nd day of sudden home schooling for thousands of families.  Even though this is what my family does all the time, it's still extra hard in the current atmosphere.  Everyone in my family feels it.  Nothing is normal.  We started our day late today and didn't do a lot of things on our "plan."  I'm totally ok with that.  That happens, often.  And it is not a problem.  It all works out in the long run.

The one thing I'm really holding on to and making sure we do every day, no matter what, is meditate. It REALLY makes a difference.  If you are a person of faith, as I am, I would include prayer in this category.  IMHO, prayer is a form of meditation and meditation can be a form of prayer.  But whatever your beliefs, slowing down, connecting with your body, shutting out the swirl of crazy outside you and breathing deep will enable you to keep going for another day with more clarity, less anxiety, and a sense of purpose.  We all need that now more than ever.

As I wrote in a previous post I like to use the Calm app.   My husband uses Calm and Headspace  (He's a bit of a junkie).  He likes them both for different reasons.

Guided meditations with an app are simple.  They can be as short as 1 minute though I definitely find greater benefits from something at least 10 minutes long.  My kids have been practicing meditation with me intermittently for over a year.  They aren't perfectly still or even quiet while we meditate but they keep getting better at it.  And it really does help.  A lot.

No comments: