Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Quick Dinner: Chicken and Veggies over Rice


This is something my Mom made a lot when I was a kid.  This afternoon, midway through my first canning foray I realized it was 5pm and I had no plans for dinner.  Knowing I had bought chicken that morning that was likely not frozen yet, I remembered this old standby from my childhood.  I grabbed the not-yet-frozen chicken breasts from the freezer, put some brown rice and broth on the stove and started slicing veggies.  This is such a fast and easy meal to throw together and it's healthy, imho.  The veggies roasted in the dressing really make it.  You don't have to use these veggies - use whatever you have around.  Green beans, squash and corn would all be good in here.  The peppers with the dressing are my favorite.  I remembered to take a picture of the uncooked chicken and veggies before I threw them in the oven because to me it looked really pretty but I missed the moment before we ate it - we were pretty hungry.  Here's how to make it.

For Rice
2 cups of brown rice
4 cups of broth

For Chicken and Veggies
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 onion, sliced thickly
1-2 cups of red, yellow, red, and/or green bell peppers, sliced thickly (I used mini-peppers tonight)
1-2 heads of broccoli, cut in florets, or 1 package of frozen broccoli florets
1 bottle of vinaigrette dressing.  I use Brianna's French Vinaigrette.

1.  Cook 2 cups of brown rice in broth according to package directions.
2.  While the rice cooks, line a baking sheet with sides or a 9X13 pan with foil and preheat oven to 400.
3.  Place the chicken breasts on the pan.
4.  Layer sliced vegetables over chicken
5.  Pour dressing over chicken and vegetables.
6.  Bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
7.  Slice chicken and serve chicken and veggies over rice.

No comments: