Thursday, April 22, 2010
Here's my latest favorite snack. I adapted this recipe based on one a friend gave me. For my family, this is a delicious, guilt free, healthy snack. I like them as much as cookies. The recipe is very flexible. Experiment with the ingredients and come up with your own version. My recipe is doubled - divide in half if you want less or your mixer is on the smaller end.
9 c rolled oats
3 c whole wheat flour
2 t baking soda
2 t vanilla
1 c chopped pecans
2 c craisins
1 bag of organic chocolate chips
1.5 c melted butter
2-4 c liquid sweetener (I use honey and maple syrup)
1. Mix all the dry ingredients.
2. While mixing on low, slowly add melted butter.
3. While mixing on low add liquid sweetener until mixture starts to come together--not one big ball but enough so that you can press it together. Experiment with this and you'll find the texture that works best.
4. Press into a large jelly roll or bar pan.
5. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes
6. Cut into bars. Keeps well in an airtight container - but it won't last more than a couple days if your family likes it as much as mine does.
It would be good crumbled in a bowl like cereal with milk over it. I'd love to hear other people's versions of this. So many flavor possibilities....I want to experiment with ripe bananas and coconut butter.