- Make Pesto first and refrigerate (definitely add the “optional” lemon juice and zest)
- Heat EVOO in a large sauce pot on medium high
- Sauté mushrooms for 3 minutes
- Add asparagus, rice, and enough broth to just cover rice. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a low simmer. Stirring often, watch for the liquid to be absorbed by the rice and add another cup whenever the liquid is mostly absorbed. Keep stirring and adding broth until it is all absorbed and the rice is cooked through. Don’t rush this process. Let it take 30-45 minutes at a very low simmer for the creamiest results.
- After all the liquid is absorbed, turn off the heat and stir in the pesto. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes to absorb the pesto and then serve.
Friday, May 18, 2012
Pesto Asparagus Risotto
My husband, contender for pickiest-man-alive, and huge fan of cheese, couldn’t believe this creamy risotto was dairy free and begged me to make it again soon. I will!
1 batch of Vegan Pesto
1 T EVOO
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and diced
3 pounds of asparagus, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 c Arborio rice
8 c broth (mushroom, chicken, or beef)