Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Amateur Art Study


I love art and casually study it on my own.  I know just enough to know I don’t know much at all.  The more I get into it though, the more addicting I find it.  My limited study of Art has really helped me enjoy and get more out every other subject I study.  Here are some of my favorite books and DVDs for learning about Art and sharing it with my family:

For Kids
The Katie series of picture books by James Mayhew


The Art Book for Children series by Phaidon publishers

Usborne Books on Art (there are a lot, these are just a couple examples)

For Youth
Sister Wendy's books and DVDs (The Story of Painting, etc.)

For Adults
Letters to His Son Lucien (letters written by Camille Pissaro)
Great Courses DVD classes on art like these:
The PBS series Great Museums, you can watch it on Hulu.com 

Parents and teachers please note, the Art Tradition includes an extensive study of The Nude.  This means most art books and classes, even some of those designed for children, will include pictures of and descriptions of nudes.  Generally, I appreciate artists’ appreciation of what I consider, God’s greatest creation, the human body.  There are some artists and works that cross the line, in my opinion, and objectify rather than glorify the body.  I recommend that you carefully consider the books and DVDs on art that you want to bring into your home and/or present to children.  I’ve grouped my favorite books and DVDs on Art into 3 lists, based on who I think they are appropriate for but you should review them and decide what you think – don’t take my word for it.

I recommend students of all ages visit art museums as often as you can.  Many museums are free and almost all of those that charge have one day or evening a month when admission is free.  This is when I take my children so that a half hour doesn't feel like a waste of money. The more one is surrounded by art, the more familiar it becomes and the easier it is to learn about and enjoy.  

1 comment:

LaDonna said...

This is a great list. Rylee loves the Katie books. Thank you for introducing them to us!